Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chocolate+Basil=Delicious!

I just have to give you this recipe of a delicious double chocolate cake that I learned and tried out on Sunday. Sunday, around lunch time, I was watching the news on an Italian TV channel and during the news there was a cook that gave the recipe of a cake that was to be cooked in microwave oven. It sounded very interesting because the cooking time was only 8 minutes. I didn't write down the recipe, nor did the cook give a real recipe with measurements of the ingredients. I only watched what he did. When I learned that my in-laws would pay a visit to us later that day, and that it was our wedding anniversary I decided to bake this cake so that we could celebrate our 7 years of marriage with our visitors in the afternoon. I need to warn you: if you are not used to improvising and/or measuring the ingredients 'with your eyes' rather then liters/cups and stuff, don't read it ;-) Oh, one more thing: your microwave oven should have the crisp function. Here it goes:

Put butter and bitter chocolate pieces in a bowl that can go in the microwave and melt at 160 watts for 2 minutes. I didn't have bitter chocolate at home, so I skipped that ingredient. If they do not melt thoroughly in 2 minutes, leave them a bit longer at the same power. In a big bowl whisk (don't use a hand blender) 4 eggs and sugar for about 1 minute. I added about one and a half 'small water glass' of sugar, though I usually use not that much sugar in my cakes I added that extra half a glass since I didn't have the chocolate which would have contributed to the sugar content of the cake. Add in a pinch of salt, baking powder, dark cacao powder, a little bit of all purpose flour and mix well. I used one small water glass of flour. Mix in some milk. I didn't measure my milk, just poured in from the bottle as much as I thought was necessary. Finally add the melted butter and chocolate in the batter. The result will be not thick and not excessively liquid. One important last-minute ingredient: fresh basil leaves. Wash some fresh basil leaves and add the shredded basil into the batter. Grease the crisp tray of your microwave oven and cover it with flour as well. Pour in the batter and bake using the crisp function for 8 minutes. Your cake is ready in circa 15 minutes, preparation time included. You can serve it with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream, garnished with fresh basil leaves. I am planning to bake it again using bitter chocolate with chilly, mmmmm...

Buon appetito!

3 comments:

  1. Kuzencim,oncelikle 7.yil icin tebrikler;umarim daha coooook yillar kutlarsiniz..,Gabrielle ile:)Fakat bilirsin ben feslegeni cok severim tazesini kurusunu ama kekde hic denememistim;dogrusu canim tatli cekti sabah sabah;tatli krizimi tatliya baglamak icin bizim odaciyi danette almaya yolladim;cukulatalisi olsun ama dedim;dr.hanimin derdi ne ki diye dusundugunden eminim;cunku benim aliskanliklarim disinda bir davranis yaptigim.Nereden bilsinler kuzen gene dokturmus sabah sabah....Optum canim,nice mutlu yillar.................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabah sabah cok guldurdun beni Meloscum yaaa :-) Afiyet olsun danetten, ama benim kekim gibi olamaz, gel de esasini yedireyim sana ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. I meant to write, "This is a very intriguing cake...."

    My coffee hasn't taken effect yet!

    ReplyDelete