Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

The concert

We are going to a concert tonight with my husband.
Loreena McKennitt is in town as a part of her An Ancient Muse tour following the release of her latest album with the same name in November 2006 after a long period of silence. We love her music and style, but to me she represents something else.

It was the summer of '98, I was visiting my family in Istanbul. I went in a music shop and went through the CDs. I wanted to start listening to some new music, was fed up with my collection: Supertramp, Brian Adams, Sting, Alan Parsons Project, Dire Straits, Turkish pop artists.. I wanted to try something new, so I turned my attention to new-age stuff. There it was: The Visit of Loreena McKennitt. It was just a coincidence that I bought that album, but I really liked it.

Then about two weeks later I was back in Norway, and just by coincidence again I met my later-to-be husband for the first time. We listened to The Visit together, he liked it so much that I bought a copy for him as a farewell present when he was supposed to go back to his country. Later our relationship got stronger while our collection of Loreena McKennitt's work got complete. It is, kind of, our first project realized together with my husband :-)

One day last month I had stopped at the traffic lights and was looking around and there it was: the announcement of her concert in Florence. We just had to go to listen her singing live for us.

Well, the day has come. The kids are left at the grandparents for the night and soon we are off to listen to our favorite singer. I am sure we will enjoy it..

7 comments:

  1. Nasildi konser?

    Sanirim ben lisedeyken cok populer olmustu Turkiye'de (90li yillarin ortalarina dogru). O zaman yurtta ders calismak ve uyuyabilmek icin illa ki walkman kullanmak gerekiyordu, yoksa onun aglamasi bunun cenesi derken hergun sabahlayabilirdin. Ben Lorena ile cok guzel calisir ve cok guzel uykuya dalardim. Muziklerine olan hayranligim universite de devam etti. Hemen hemen butun albumleri var bende (tabii kaset olarak). Sonra yurt disina cikinca unuttum galiba, uzun suredir dinlemiyorum :-(

    Son albumune turk motifleri eklemis, turk muziginden etkilenmis. Guzel olmus. Dinledin mi diye sormayacagim :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yasemin iz surerek buldum blogunu:)
    Ingilizcemi cevap versem diye dusundum bir an:)
    Zaten seni okumayi severdim burda da okuyayim:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fulyacim, ben de Yasemin'i Elif'in blogunda buldum. Gizli sakli yaziyormus bizimki de haberimiz yokmus, bastik! Eh sen de suclusun, senin de varmis!
    Anacim herkes bloglanmis da bizim haberimiz yokmus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zeynep,
    Yap sende bir tane. Modasi gecene ya da sIKIlana kadar boyle yazisalim:)) Zaten birbirimize gunluk tutuyorduk degil mi, ve hala tutuyoruz.
    (madem biliyorsunuz blog kimligimle imza atiyim bari:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zeynoscum konser harikaydi!

    Fulya hos geldin :) Ben de senin blogunun kesin takipcilerinden olucam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohooo daha cocuk yapilacak, blog yapilacak..Ben cocuk yapana kadar modasi gecer belki ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yok sen yap cocugu, modasi gecmez daha sen yaptiktan sonra da is isten gecer olur biter:)

    ReplyDelete