Pages

Friday, April 13, 2007

What's the language of your thoughts? And your dreams?

Mine have different languages. If I am thinking about someone or something in Turkiye I find myself thinking in Turkish. If it is a problem that I have in Italy, it is an Italian friend, then, of course, I think in Italian. Sometimes I remember stuff from the good old days in Norway. But in this case there is no fixed language for my thoughts. It depends on the actors of the little play in my brain. If they are Norwegians with whom I used to speak in Norwegian, then it is definitely Norwegian that they also use in the play. If the play has something to do with my studies, my adviser (who was also Norwegian by the way) at the university, the language is English. When the actors are my Turkish friends in Norway, they speak Turkish, naturally. However, I should admit that the language that I use the most in thinking is not Turkish as one might expect, it is English...

When it comes to my dreams the situation does not change much, gets worse ;-) Why? Because I sometimes find myself dreaming in German in addition to my Turkish, English, Italian and Norwegian dreams! I studied German as my second foreign language for 6 years in secondary and high school. Since I have never used the language I have forgotten most of what I knew before. Yet, it all comes back to the surface in my dreams.

In which language do the infants that cannot speak any language yet think and dream???

3 comments:

  1. They dream in images, feelings, colors, sounds. I have read a book about your question, if i can find it, I'll send you the title.

    You are absolutely right. Not only that, but even the way i feel changes with the language i am using right at that moment!

    www.elifsavas.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had heard about this claim, but for me it is just a claim, because it is not possible for them to 'see through' their brain. They assume that this must be the case since the little ones don't have a language yet...

    I would like to receive that title, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Elif on what she´s saying about the little monsters..
    .......
    And do understand what you mean about your situation!
    Speaking and thinking in Italian and Turkish (alone:(..).But forget the grammar, they have the same mentality for me, even the same idioms, expressions etc..- maybe it´s because I´ve grown up with both). Than English, than French... and now this German!! :(

    More I think as a difference, more I´ve got trouble. Just trying to feel good by having the luxury of choice...

    The pure idea has to be free of any language spoken!
    But I know it´s too idealistic and can never be true. This is probably why I read SF, just to satisfy my self.. ;)

    Bests,

    ReplyDelete